You are request a paper prescription to take to any lab or a electronic request can be sent to any Quest Diagnostics. Find a Quest Diagnostics location near you.
You provider is able to prescribe a medications if it is appropriate. Here is a list of Medications that cannot be prescribed via a telemedicine visit.
Common conditions treated with medical cannabis include but not limited to:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spasticity disorders
- Intractable pain, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean pain unrelieved by standard medical treatments and medications
- Glaucoma, either acute or chronic increased intraocular pressure unrelieved by standard treatments and medications
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- A chronic or debilitating disease that produces severe, persistent and one or more of the following:
- Severe nausea
- Severe Vomiting
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Appetite loss
- Muscle Spasms
No. The Board awarded conditional approval to up to 5 pharmaceutical processors in December 2018. It is anticipated they will become operational by December 2019. It will take approximately 4-6 months to cultivate, produce, and test the products prior to dispensing.
- Email email@example.com
- Fax (804) 527-4472
- Virginia Board of Pharmacy
9960 Mayland Drive
Henrico, VA 23233-1463
- Completed Certification for the use of Cannabis Oil or THC-A Oil from Alphatelemed.com
- Proof of Patient’s Residency in Virginia
- Proof of Patient’s Identity
- Proof of Patient’s Age
- The parent or legal guardian must apply for board registration for both the patient and for himself or herself as the parent or legal guardian.
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Residency in Virginia
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Identity
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Age
Alphatelemed has a fee of $149 for the visit, evaluation, and recommendation when appropriate.
Board of pharmacy has a fee of $50 for each application submitted. The application fee is nonrefundable.
Affirmative defense defeats or mitigates the legal consequences of the defendant’s otherwise unlawful conduct. While it will not be legal, technically, to possess the oils, a patient or their caregiver would be able to present their registration if they were stopped by law enforcement or in a court of law as their defense for possession of the oil.
Yes. 18.2-250.1(C) states, “In any prosecution under this section involving marijuana in the form of cannabidiol oil or THC-A oil as those terms are defined in § 54.1-3408.3, it shall be an affirmative defense that the individual possessed such oil pursuant to a valid written certification issued by a practitioner in the course of his professional practice pursuant to § 54.1-3408.3 for treatment or to alleviate the symptoms of (i) the individual’s diagnosed condition or disease or (ii) if such individual is the parent or legal guardian of a minor or of an incapacitated adult as defined in § 18.2-369, such minor’s or incapacitated adult’s diagnosed condition or disease. If the individual files the valid written certification with the court at least 10 days prior to trial and causes a copy of such written certification to be delivered to the attorney for the Commonwealth, such written certification shall be prima facie evidence that such oil was possessed pursuant to a valid written certification.”
No, marijuana possession remains illegal in Virginia. The law currently provides for an affirmative defense for a patient, parent/legal guardian to possess cannabidiol (CBD) oil or THC-A oil as defined in §54.1-3408.3 of the Code of Virginia who has been issued a valid written certification from a Board of Pharmacy-registered practitioner and who maintains a current registration with the Board of Pharmacy. Before a practitioner can issue or continue issuing written certifications, he or she must now register with the Board of Pharmacy. A patient/parent/guardian must have a written certification issued to them prior to applying for registration with the Board of Pharmacy and possessing the oils.
Yes, our providers are registered and may issue the required written certification after a in-person evaluation if appropriate.
There is a fee of $149 for the evaluation (not covered by medical insurance).
Please call 703-589-9964 for more information or to make an in-person appointment.
Please visit How to Register for more information and online registration.
Yes, patients, parents, and legal guardians may now apply to obtain registration from the Board of Pharmacy. A patient, parent, or legal guardian must have a written certification issued to them by a registered practitioner prior to applying for registration with the Board of Pharmacy and possessing CBD or THC-A cannabis oil for any condition as seen appropriate by a registered provider.
In addition to being issued a valid written certification from a Board of Pharmacy-registered provider, the patient and, if such patient is a minor or an incapacitated adult as defined in 18.2-369, such patient’s parent or guardian, must obtain registration from the Board of Pharmacy.
A typical therapy visit on Alphatelemed is 45 minutes. The average number of visits a patient has is six, but each patient has an individualized treatment plan and your therapist may recommended more or fewer visits.
With the Alphatelemed, you can see a therapist, face to face to address common behavioral health challenges, from the privacy and comfort of your own home. Alphatelemed therapy services are available statewide in Virginia.
An online psychiatry session is similar as an office visit but more convenient since are seen from location of your choosing, and at your time of your choosing. You will be asked about your psychiatric history, current emotional symptoms, potential factors contributing to these symptoms, and what you would like to be accomplished in your visit. Using all this information the provider will come up with a thorough assessment and treatment plan. This can be an ongoing conversation and, as they get to know you better over time, the plan can change as your needs change.
- You are unable to see a local psychiatrist.
- All the appointments are your local psychiatrist are booked for weeks or months.
- You need a psychiatric medication or more than one psychiatric medication
- You have one or more mental disorder diagnosis
- You feel that getting more from a psychiatry visit would improve your overall health.
- You are experiencing complex side effects to your current medications and would like a second opinion
- You want to change your psychiatric medication
- You have questions about your doctor’s treatment plan and want a second opinion
A Psychiatry visit is for medication management and a Therapy visit is for counseling (talking) therapy. Both are able to evaluate a person to determine whether medication or talk therapy or both type of treatments are necessary. Both can make recommendations based on their assessment. A therapist/counselor cannot prescribe medications.
Therapists cannot prescribe. You can see a provider in our psychiatry department because they have the ability to prescribe medications for the diagnosed condition.
Through the Alphatelemed website, you can see a provider face-to-face from the privacy and comfort of your own home to address common behavioral health challenges. Providers are different than therapists because they have the ability to prescribe medications for the treatment of diagnosed mental disorders.
Currently Alphatelemed accepts:
- Virginia Medicaid
- or Medicare
- self-pay(out of pocket via credit or debit card)
- Will be accepting more health insurances in the near future
Medical Cannabis Treatment recommendation:
- self-pay(out of pocket via credit or debit card) ONLY
Providers on Alphatelemed are able to provide simple forms like sick slips or back to work/school documents as clinically appropriate. Be sure to request the documentation before ending your conversation. Please note that doctors on Alphatelemed are not able to provide more documents like FMLA forms, disability forms or handicap/DMV documents as these documents require in in-person evaluation.
Providers at Alphatelemed will discuss your health history and assess whether a refill is safe at this time of your visit or whether it would be necessary to see your primary care physician in person. The decision to provide a refill and the quantity is at the sole discretion of the provider. Be sure to share any information you have about your health history and condition that may help facilitate your refill, such as recent lab tests or blood pressure readings. We follow state, federal guidelines and cannot prescribe controlled substances via a telemedicine visit.
Children, under the age of 18, must be accompanied by a legal guardian or a parent to see our provider. The rule is the same when you go to your doctors office.
No, currently we are only offering our service to anyone who is physically located in Virginia.
Yes, your privacy is our priority. We keep your information secure. Alphatelemed is designed to be a private, secure We only use HIPAA-compliant tools that allow you to safely and confidentially consult with our providers online.
Alphatelemed is not for serious injuries or life threatening conditions, such as:
- Patients who want to hurt themselves
- Patients who want to hurt others
- Schizophrenia or hallucinations
- Chest pain
- Neurological symptoms, suggesting a stroke
- Difficulty breathing
- Dizziness or loss of consciousness
- Sudden bleeding
- Choking or gagging
- Severe Hypertension or Hemorrhoids
- Head injury
- Possible broken bones
If you have any of the above symptoms or any other serious medical concerns please call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency department.
If this is an emergency please call 911 IMMEDIATELY.
If it is not an emergency condition, yes. Our providers are able to advice, counsel you about your condition, and help you work through your treatment options.
- I live in a rural area.
- I am home bound, and cannot get to a doctor.
- I feel like I should probably see a doctor, but don’t have time to wait for an appointment.
- It’s difficult for me to get a doctor’s appointment.
- My doctor’s office is closed and I don’t want to wait hours at an urgent care clinic or hospital.
- I am new to the area and don’t know any doctors near me.
- I just need a second opinion.
- I don’t have health insurance, or my co-pay/deductible is too high.
Alphatelemed is a affordable, convenient way to receive care from our providers or therapists on your desktop, laptop, or your smartphone. Our secure video technology allow you to see a doctor face to face. The doctor can look, listen and engage with you to diagnose your reason for your visit and provide an effective treatment plan.