1. Please visit https://practice.kareo.com/alphatelemed or Click here!
2. Select “Alphatelemed.com Virtual only” from the location dropdown.
3. Select an appointment date and time convenient to you.
4. Complete the form.
(tip- Select “Cash” for the payment method if you cannot find your insurance listed. You can add your insurance information to the intake forms).
6. Text us at 703-589-9964 with your name and message that you have requested an appointment and we can process your request and send you the intake forms.
7. Once the forms are complete, we will send you a link and instructions to set up our app for the virtual appointment.
EMDR is a simple but efficient therapy using bilateral stimulation (BLS) – tapping, auditory tones or eye movements – to accelerate the brain’s capacity to process and potentially heal a troubling memory. BLS, which occurs naturally during dream sleep, causes the two brain parts to work together to reintegrate the memory. Some clients experience relief or positive effects in just a few sessions. EMDR has been shown to be effective in alleviating trauma-related symptoms, whether the traumatic event occurred many years ago or yesterday. It gives desired results –with little talking, without using drugs, and requires no “homework” between sessions.
Scientific research has established EMDR as effective for the treatment of post traumatic stress, phobias, panic attacks, anxiety disorders, stress, sexual and physical abuse, disturbing memories, complicated grief and addictions.
The possible benefits of EMDR treatment include the following:
· The memory is remembered but the painful emotions and physical sensations and the disturbing images and thoughts are no longer present.
· EMDR helps the brain reintegrate the memory and store it in a more appropriate place in the brain. The client’s own brain reintegrates the memory and does the healing.
The possible risks of EMDR treatment include the following:
· Reprocessing a memory may bring up associated memories. This is normal and those memories will also be reprocessed.
· During the EMDR, the client may experience physical sensations and retrieve images, emotions and sounds associated with the memory. Reprocessing of the memory normally continues after the end of the formal therapy session.
· Other memories, flashbacks, feelings and sensations may occur. The client may have dreams associated with the memory. Frequently the brain is able to process these additional memories without help, but arrangements for assistance will be made in a timely manner if the client is unable to cope.
As with any other therapeutic approach, reprocessing traumatic memories can be uncomfortable; that means, some people won’t like or be able to tolerate EMDR treatment well. Others need more preparation, offered by the therapist, before processing traumatic events using EMDR.
· There are no known adverse effects of interrupting EMDR therapy; therefore, a client can discontinue treatment at any time.
· Alternative therapeutic approaches may include individual or group therapy, medication, or a different psychotherapy modality.
· EMDR treatment is facilitated by a licensed psychotherapist having EMDRIA-approved training.
HISTORY AND SAFETY FACTORS
The client must:
· Be willing to tell the therapist the truth about what he/she is experiencing.
· Be able to tolerate high levels of emotional disturbance, have the ability to reprocess associated memories resulting from EMDR therapy, and to use self control and relaxation techniques (eg. calm place exercise).
· Remember debriefing instructions and call his/her therapist, connect with supportive family or friends, or use meditation or other techniques (eg. calm place exercise) he/she has agreed to in therapy, if needed.
· Disclose to therapist and consult with his/her physician before EMDR therapy if he/she has a history of or current eye problems, a diagnosed heart disease, elevated blood pressure, or is at risk for or has a history of stroke, heart attack, seizure, or other limiting medical conditions that may put him/her at medical risk. Due to stress related to reprocessing traumatic events, pregnant women should consider postponing EMDR therapy.
· Inform therapist if he/she is wearing contact lenses and will remove them if they impede eye movements due to irritation or eye dryness. The therapist will discontinue bilateral stimulation (BLS) eye movements if client reports eye pain and use other dual stimulation (tapping, sounds)to continue reprocessing.
· Assess his/her current life situation to determine EMDR approach. Client may need the ability to postpone demanding work schedule immediately following EMDR session.
· Before participating in EMDR, discuss with therapist all aspects of an upcoming legal court case where testimony is required. The client may need to postpone EMDR treatment if she/he is a victim or witness to a crime that is being prosecuted because the traumatic material processed using EMDR may fade, blur or disappear and her/his testimony may be challenged.
· Understand disagreements with family and/or friends may occur as she/he learns new skills such as assertiveness or social skills after processing problems and disturbing material using EMDR. Vulnerable clients may need to be protected.
· Be willing to explore the issues(s) that may arise as change occurs. For example, changes regarding your identity; finances; loss of identification with a peer group; and/or attention.
· Consult with his/her medical doctor, before utilizing medication. Some medications may reduce the effectiveness of EMDR. For example, benzodiazapines may reduce effectiveness possibly due to state-dependent processing and/or regression may occur after ceasing anti-depressants.
· Address with the therapist his/her ability to attend to EMDR due to recent cocaine dependence, long term amphetamine abuse, seizures, and/or other neurological conditions. EMDR is contraindicated with recent crack cocaine users and long-term amphetamine users.
· Discuss with the therapist any Dissociative Disorders; Dissociative Identity Disorder unexplained somatic symptoms, sleep problems, flashbacks, derealization and/or depersonalization, hears voices, unexplained feelings, memory lapses, multiple psychiatric hospitalizations, multiple diagnoses with little treatment progress – EMDR may trigger these symptoms.
“No Show” shall mean any patient who fails to arrive for a scheduled appointment. “Same Day Cancellation” shall mean any patient who cancels an appointment less than 24 hours before their scheduled appointment.
“Late Arrival” shall mean any patient who arrives at the clinic 15 minutes after the expected arrival time for the scheduled appointment.
It is the policy of the practice to monitor and manage appointment no-shows and late cancellations. The Alphatelemed.com practice goal is to provide excellent care to each patient in a timely manner. If it is necessary to cancel an appointment, patients are required to call or leave a message at least 24 hours before their appointment time. Notification allows the practice to better utilize appointments for other patients in need of prompt medical care.
I. A patient is notified of the appointment “No-Show, Late, & Cancellation Policy” at the time of scheduling. This
policy can and will be provided in writing to patients at their request.
II. Established patients:
a. Appointment must be cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time.
b. In the event a patient arrives late as defined by “late arrival” to their appointment and cannot be seen by the provider on the same day, they will be rescheduled for a future clinic visit, if available.
c. In the event a patient has incurred three (2) documented “no-shows” and/or “same-day cancellations,” the patient may be subject to dismissal from Alphatelemed.com clinic. The patient’s chart is reviewed, and dismissals are determined by a provider only, no exceptions, in accordance with Alphatelemed.com policies.
III. New patients:
a. Appointment must be cancelled at least 24 hours prior to scheduled appointment time.
b. In the event of three (2) documented “same-day cancellations,” the patient may be subject to dismissal from the Alphatelemed.com. The patient’s chart is reviewed, and dismissals are determined
by a provider only, no exceptions, in accordance with Alphatelemed.com policies.
You are request a paper prescription to take to any lab or a electronic request can be sent to any Quest Diagnostics. Find a Quest Diagnostics location near you.
You provider is able to prescribe a medications if it is appropriate. Here is a list of Medications that cannot be prescribed via a telemedicine visit.
Common conditions treated with medical cannabis include but not limited to:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spasticity disorders
- Intractable pain, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean pain unrelieved by standard medical treatments and medications
- Glaucoma, either acute or chronic increased intraocular pressure unrelieved by standard treatments and medications
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- A chronic or debilitating disease that produces severe, persistent and one or more of the following:
- Severe nausea
- Severe Vomiting
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Appetite loss
- Muscle Spasms
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax (804) 527-4472
- Virginia Board of Pharmacy
9960 Mayland Drive
Henrico, VA 23233-1463
- Completed Certification for the use of Cannabis Oil or THC-A Oil from Alphatelemed.com
- Proof of Patient’s Residency in Virginia
- Proof of Patient’s Identity
- Proof of Patient’s Age
- The parent or legal guardian must apply for board registration for both the patient and for himself or herself as the parent or legal guardian.
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Residency in Virginia
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Identity
- Proof of Parent/Guardian Age
Yes. A Written Certification for the Use of Medical Cannabis from a Registered Practitioner for Medical Cannabis is still required and must be presented at the dispensary, along with a government-issued ID, to obtain medical cannabis products.
Yes, our providers are registered and may issue the required written certification after a in-person evaluation if appropriate.
There is a fee of $149 for the evaluation (not covered by medical insurance).
Please call 703-589-9964 for more information or to make an in-person appointment.
Please visit How to Register for more information and online registration.
Yes, patients, parents, and legal guardians may now apply to obtain registration from the Board of Pharmacy. A patient, parent, or legal guardian must have a written certification issued to them by a registered practitioner prior to applying for registration with the Board of Pharmacy and possessing CBD or THC-A cannabis oil for any condition as seen appropriate by a registered provider.
In addition to being issued a valid written certification from a Board of Pharmacy-registered provider, the patient and, if such patient is a minor or an incapacitated adult as defined in 18.2-369, such patient’s parent or guardian, must obtain registration from the Board of Pharmacy.
A typical therapy visit on Alphatelemed is 60 minutes. Each patient has an individualized treatment plan.
With the Alphatelemed, you can see a therapist, face to face to address common behavioral health challenges, from the privacy and comfort of your own home. Alphatelemed therapy services are available statewide in Virginia.
An online psychiatry session is similar as an office visit but more convenient since are seen from location of your choosing, and at your time of your choosing. You will be asked about your psychiatric history, current emotional symptoms, potential factors contributing to these symptoms, and what you would like to be accomplished in your visit. Using all this information the provider will come up with a thorough assessment and treatment plan. This can be an ongoing conversation and, as they get to know you better over time, the plan can change as your needs change.
- You are unable to see a local psychiatrist.
- All the appointments are your local psychiatrist are booked for weeks or months.
- You need a psychiatric medication or more than one psychiatric medication
- You have one or more mental disorder diagnosis
- You feel that getting more from a psychiatry visit would improve your overall health.
- You are experiencing complex side effects to your current medications and would like a second opinion
- You want to change your psychiatric medication
- You have questions about your doctor’s treatment plan and want a second opinion
A Psychiatry visit is for medication management and a Therapy visit is for counseling (talking) therapy. Both are able to evaluate a person to determine whether medication or talk therapy or both type of treatments are necessary. Both can make recommendations based on their assessment. A therapist/counselor cannot prescribe medications.
Therapists cannot prescribe. You can see a provider in our psychiatry department because they have the ability to prescribe medications for the diagnosed condition.
Through the Alphatelemed website, you can see a provider face-to-face from the privacy and comfort of your own home to address common behavioral health challenges. Providers are different than therapists because they have the ability to prescribe medications for the treatment of diagnosed mental disorders.
Currently Alphatelemed accepts:
- Virginia Medicaid
- or Medicare
- self-pay(out of pocket via credit or debit card)
- Will be accepting more health insurances in the near future
Medical Cannabis Treatment recommendation:
- self-pay(out of pocket via credit or debit card) ONLY
Providers on Alphatelemed are able to provide simple forms like sick slips or back to work/school documents as clinically appropriate. Be sure to request the documentation before ending your conversation. Please note that doctors on Alphatelemed are not able to provide more documents like FMLA forms, disability forms or handicap/DMV documents as these documents require in in-person evaluation.
Providers at Alphatelemed will discuss your health history and assess whether a refill is safe at this time of your visit or whether it would be necessary to see your primary care physician in person. The decision to provide a refill and the quantity is at the sole discretion of the provider. Be sure to share any information you have about your health history and condition that may help facilitate your refill, such as recent lab tests or blood pressure readings. We follow state, federal guidelines and cannot prescribe controlled substances via a telemedicine visit.
Children, under the age of 18, must be accompanied by a legal guardian or a parent to see our provider. The rule is the same when you go to your doctors office.
No, currently we are only offering our service to anyone who is physically located in Virginia.
Yes, your privacy is our priority. We keep your information secure. Alphatelemed is designed to be a private, secure We only use HIPAA-compliant tools that allow you to safely and confidentially consult with our providers online.
Alphatelemed is not for serious injuries or life threatening conditions, such as:
- Patients who want to hurt themselves
- Patients who want to hurt others
- Schizophrenia or hallucinations
- Chest pain
- Neurological symptoms, suggesting a stroke
- Difficulty breathing
- Dizziness or loss of consciousness
- Sudden bleeding
- Choking or gagging
- Severe Hypertension or Hemorrhoids
- Head injury
- Possible broken bones
If you have any of the above symptoms or any other serious medical concerns please call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency department.
If this is an emergency please call 911 IMMEDIATELY.
If it is not an emergency condition, yes. Our providers are able to advice, counsel you about your condition, and help you work through your treatment options.
- I live in a rural area.
- I am home bound, and cannot get to a doctor.
- I feel like I should probably see a doctor, but don’t have time to wait for an appointment.
- It’s difficult for me to get a doctor’s appointment.
- My doctor’s office is closed and I don’t want to wait hours at an urgent care clinic or hospital.
- I am new to the area and don’t know any doctors near me.
- I just need a second opinion.
- I don’t have health insurance, or my co-pay/deductible is too high.
Alphatelemed is a affordable, convenient way to receive care from our providers or therapists on your desktop, laptop, or your smartphone. Our secure video technology allow you to see a doctor face to face. The doctor can look, listen and engage with you to diagnose your reason for your visit and provide an effective treatment plan.
Initial Psychiatry visit $179 *
Follow-up Psychiatry visit $129 *
Therapy visit $109 *
* May be less with Health Insurance
Medical Cannabis certification evaluation $189